Sunday, December 18, 2011

Willowy Wickopy

FIREWEED FAIRY
Who would’ve thought
such a match could be made,
…the Wickopy boy
with the daughter
of the Primrose Family.

Herb, whose father must toil
from morning to night
courting a girl whose family
owns practically everything
in sight.

Yet we saw them one evening,
riding horseback
over hill and dale,
Sally rode side-saddle,
by the stream
along Deerhorn trail.

They then veered off to follow
the new wilderness road
into the woodlands,
that are now being heavily logged.

The loggers heard Herb yell “Fire’em up!”
Let’s see what these fillies can do,
I’ll race you to the top, Sal…
You owe me dessert if you lose!...

“…One sweet as nectar, my honey,
but, if I lose by chance,
I promise I’ll make you laugh
by doing a bunny dance.”

Bloomin’ all summer long,
they returned
to play these games
alternating between them
which one would win.

Heedless of others
and all that they thought
whether they rubbed them
the wrong way, they cared
not,

As they were smitten,
waterproofed, insulated
within their love pod
as if carried by the wind
spiraling high above.

It left one wondering
how the father
hadn’t a clue,
but when the news hit,
Oh, how he put on a show!

“Pile ‘o warts!” he shouted,
“He’s as good as fodder.
How dare he nibble
at the skirt
of my only dear daughter!

This he sees ‘cause he’s so green…
as the cat’s meow
Shoot! I’ll root
this problem out,
no more
will he come to call!

Men’s brains…
oh, how
they do stir up trouble
how dare he choose her,
he makes my blood boil!

You’d think he’d have courted
Emma Tique instead,
brought his affections
to all altitudes
for them to wed.

But no, rumour has it,
it is him who piles his fever
upon my daughter,
This woeful joining
I adamantly vow to alter.

I’ll pull all ties to those  
I know who can help
from the Soviet Union, North America
and all across Europe.

Boy, I’ll make a cure,
I’ll burn and sweep all over this land.
I’ll spin into the scene,
five of my briskest kin

They’ll help in finishing it…
all this fluff and stuff
doggon’it, I call Queen Charlott
we’ll undo all
that’s been cloaked
and spun.

Had I only gotten wind of this sooner
before it went from a molehill to a mountain
before it germinated and spread
outta hand like a wildfire.

I’da pounded the root
right to the fiber
I’da split the stem open
dipped ‘im in oil

this leather-faced chap
glutinous
for my sweet daughter
would’ve learned quickly
that he aught to choose another

He hasn’t the inner pith
worthy of her hand
in marriage
With the land swelling
with so many others
he ought to extract
one of them instead!

Now though the girl’s father did bulge
so tightly with hot indignation
that we thought he might burst
Well, he had no power in the end

As Willowy Wickopy
and Tall Slender Sally
bound their love together quite tightly
and so then finally

all stood side by side
tall, and erect
as Sally’s father gave her away
to be bound in marriage

Yet all the while
one could see his teeth
grinding minutely
still, he did not refute them

His demeanor did soften somewhat
during the father/daughter dance
as she slowly spiraled around
like a vision of one floating on air

in her dress of  layer upon layer
of fine silk gossamer veils
with a pattern of blossoms
fully opened at the bottom
that changed as they spiralled

up and around the dress
getting smaller and closing up
until they became ribbon buds
fastened at the shoulders on top

This is the end of the story
though a strange one it might be,
I’ll tell you another one day
over a cup of tea!



***********************************


Within the writing of this poetry
are hints that act as memory hooks
to help one to recall
some of the properties
of a plant,
plus its uses and looks.

If you'd like to hear them
as I am often on the wing,
You may contact me through
this address ( lovellsimonsjanet_at_yahoo.ca)
then I'll give you a ring.


***********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment